Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

How to turn Flowers Into Perfume


You can use different kinds of good smelling flower petals to make perfumes of different smell. It does take a few months to make it but it will be worth it.
Today, I'm going to show you how to make perfume from flowers, flowers from the garden. You first need some flowers growing in your garden that are highly scented. I've picked pose scarlet roofs here and I can smell a lovely “sherbetty” floral smell from that.
I'm going to infuse our petals in some perfume as alcohol which will help draw the aroma of the petals out into the liquid. So I'm going to start by crushing some of my lovely petals using an herb chopper. Now, I don't need to cut them very small but I just need to cut into them a little bit.

I could do this with a knife but I like this gadget. It's much easier to roll across the petals rather than tear them. I think that's probably crushed enough.

Now, I need to soak some in the perfume as alcohol for roughly 12 weeks to allow the aroma to be drawn out. So I'm just going to pop them into this little jar here. Just see a beautiful selection of colors in there as well.

And then there is a few more in there I want to get out so that I can fit it and then cover that with the perfume as alcohol and pop the lid. I now have to be very patient for 3 months or so, while the alcohol does its job. This will work better if it's kept somewhere cool and dark so I'm just going to pop that into a cupboard and try to forget about it for 3 months and then I'll open it up and find the smell.

Our rose petals have been sitting in our alcohol for just over 3 months, so now we're going to filter the perfume all out. You can see it's picked up some of the color from the rose petals and I can already smell that it's picked up the aroma as well. Oh, absolutely lovely! I'll just pop that into my perfume bottle.

This wouldn't work if you did it in water. If you do it in water, all that happens is that the rose petals will be brown and not smell nice at all. But by using an alcohol, it draws the smell out.

Alright, let's have a little test. .

No comments:

Post a Comment